Can I Have My Metal Crowns Replaced with Porcelain Veneers?

I’m starting to notice the metal at the top of my crowns. It wouldn’t be so bothersome, but they’re front teeth, and it doesn’t look nice. So far, I’m the only one that seems to notice, but I’d like to have them replaced with porcelain veneers, no metal at all. That way, I won’t have to deal with this problem again. I talked to my dentist about it, but he told me he would only do metal crowns again, because they’re stronger. Is he right, or are there alternatives he isn’t telling me about?


Chrissy in Kentucky

Dear Chrissy,

Unfortunately, porcelain veneers are not an option. When teeth are prepared for a crown, the dentist has to remove structure all the way around the tooth. Porcelain veneers only cover the front of the tooth, which would leave the back of your tooth totally unprotected and vulnerable.

With that said, it’s interesting that your doctor insisted upon metal. Most dentists will gladly do a metal-free dental crown, especially on an anterior tooth. Generally speaking, they don’t receive the same repetitive force that back teeth do, so just porcelain, or an alternative metal-free material is fine. Perhaps if you grind or clench your teeth, he was concerned about the longevity of the restorations, though it’s difficult to say.

It’s also worth noting that no restoration lasts forever. You’ll likely need to have any work you have done now replaced in 10-15 years. As you age, or if your gums don’t receive proper care, they’ll start to recede, exposing the margin again. When this happens, it’s important to have the restoration redone, to avoid getting decay.

Your best bet is to have a consultation with a dentist who does a lot of cosmetic work. He’ll be able to go over what options are available to provide you with the aesthetics you want, and the protection your tooth needs.

This post is sponsored by Atlanta cosmetic dentist Flax Dental.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,

Posted in: Porcelain Crowns, Porcelain Veneers


  1. Enter your Phone Number, area code first
  2. Enter your Extension - if applicable
  3. Click "Call Now"
  4. You will receive a call, then you will be connected to our office
Note: 800 Numbers are not allowed
NagiosCheckValue - Do not remove please