Oral Cancer Screenings
What is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer refers to cancers that form in the mouth (cheek, gums, tongue, and roof), as well as the back of your throat. Oral cancer can be life threatening and should be detected as soon as possible.
What are Signs I Might Have Mouth Cancer?
There are certain symptoms that, in combination, may signal mouth cancer. Make sure you see us if you notice these symptoms for two weeks or more:
- Soreness or irritation along your mouth, lips, or throat.
- A lump in your mouth, lips, or throat.
- Difficulty swallowing, moving your jaw and/or tongue.
- Numbness in your mouth.
- A feeling like something is stuck in the back of your throat.
What are the Benefits of Regular Oral Cancer Screenings?
The main benefit of regular oral cancer screenings is that you can catch it early. Early detection is key to successful treatment and recovery. It’s also convenient. Oral cancer screenings should be done every six months, which is how often you should get a dental cleaning. We can do both during the same visit.
Oral Cancer Screenings in Atlanta
An oral cancer screening can be done in less than five minutes. The screening involves examining the head, mouth, and neck. This examination is commonly done every six months, during your routine dental cleaning.
If you suspect that you have oral cancer, you can call and make an appointment specifically for an oral cancer screening. In spite of what you may believe, oral cancer no longer targets only those over 40 years of age. The spread of oral HPV has caused incidences of oral cancer to rise at an alarming rate – particularly among younger people.
Oral cancer does not have any obvious early signs. When left to be discovered in later stages, 90% of the cases are malignant. Treatment can include disfiguring surgical treatment.
Get an oral cancer screening now at Flax Dental!
The good news is that there’s a 90% cure rate if oral cancer is detected early.
Flax Dental in Atlanta, is very pleased to provide VELscope. This FDA-approved oral cancer screening system uses light to instantly reveal abnormalities that may not be apparent or visible to the naked eye.
What’s the Process?
- Make an Appointment – You can make an appointment for your regular dental cleaning, or specifically for an oral cancer screening.
- The Screening – The examination usually takes under five minutes. Atlanta dentist, Dr. Flax, will examine your face, neck, lips, tongue and mouth for red or white patches, mouth sores, lumps, or other abnormalities. Removable dentures will need to be removed for a complete examination.
- Regularly Attend Dental Cleanings – Once you’ve been cleared, your next screening can be scheduled during your regular dental cleanings.
Schedule a Consultation
Find out if you’re at risk for oral cancer by calling your dentist near Brookhaven, GA at Flax Dental. Ask for a painless, effective screening today.